Lessons. Today is my birthday. That is the reason why yesterday came no new article and why I am publishing today on a Thursday. Today on the 25th of May 2017 I am turning 23 years old. A number that was never special to me. It never occurred to me that this number would change anything. When I grew up birthdays like turning 10, 13, 16, 18, 20,21 and 22 seemed special to me. So, since this year I am celebrating my birthday because I am grateful to be able to spend more time on this beautiful earth I wrote down 23 lessons I’ve learned in 23 years.
- Be there for the people I love.
No matter how busy my schedule is, no matter what my own problems are, I am there for the people I love when they need me.
- Distance doesn’t matter.
Because I know that I can count on the people who live far away no matter what.
- Give and receive second chances.
Everybody deserves a second chance and there will come a time where I am happy that someone gives me a second chance, too.
- Be honest especially to the people you love.
- Trust can be destroyed too easily.
It takes a lot of time and effort to build it up and is destroyed within seconds.
- Do what makes you happy.
You are the only person that makes yourself happy.
- There is no right or wrong.
- To be beautiful on the outside is never enough, to be beautiful on the inside is a lot more important.
- Life goes on!
No matter how big my problems seems to be today, there will come days where those problems don’t matter anymore.
- Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.
- I can do this!
Believe in yourself and you will gain strength to do everything you want to accomplish.
- Walk away from people that make you feel like you are worth nothing.
- I should be thankful that I was born into a wonderful family.
In today’s world it matters where and when you are born. How your future will turn out is often decided with the place you were born in.
- There are people who will never accept me.
I’ve learnt that no matter how I am, there will always be people who dislike me or hate me for what I am doing – but that is ok!
- Think positive no matter how bad you feel.
Your thoughts are so important. So, I’ve learned that I can live a better life if I think positive 98% of my time.
- People forget words, people forget the things you did but they will never forget how I made them feel.
- It is ok that I never followed groups.
Maybe in my teens I was an outsider but at least I didn’t do anything just to be “cool”.
- I learn from your mistakes.
No one is perfect but you should never make the same mistake repeatedly.
- You only regret the things you didn’t do. But do what feels right for you.
- Education is never not important.
Even though you may not go to school or university anymore, never stop educating yourself.
- True love exists.
No matter in which form.
- Self-acceptance is key so I can proudly say that I love myself.
It may sound narcissistic but I truly learned to fully love myself with all my flaws. The only person I will have for the rest of my life is myself and if I don’t love myself how will anybody else love me?!
- Growing up is not as bad as it seems. I am glad that I am not 16 anymore.
And you know what the best part about my birthday is? That these 23 things are not the last things I will learn and I am extremely happy to experience loads more. If you want to know what I wore for my last birthday check out this article.
Now I am off to enjoy the rest of my special day. More updates on what exactly is happing today are on Instagram @vanessakawali .